Saturday 21 June 2008

Waffles with sesame and sea salt



As I arrived at my boyfriend's place with a small evening purse containing keys and Metaxa truffles, I was presented with a little box filled of chocolate waffles with sesame and sea salt, also from Hotel Chocolat.

Unlike the Metaxa truffles, these chaps are flat and oval crackers with the shiny brown coat on them. The two packs of chocolate did not fit into my little purse, so I decided to leave them both at home (at least they wouldn't feel left out or less important that way) and left for the 12-hour-long mayball with my boyfriend. For what it's worth, I wore a long sleek chocolate-colour silk dress to the party!

We had a great night with champagne, shisha and a gorgeous chocolate fountain, didn't get back until 7am and by the time I woke up, I felt like I have well neglected my dear friend chocolate. I picked the chocolated-coated cracker up, it felt smooth, looked shiny and smelled rich. The first bite was absolutely satisfactory, with layers of smooth chocolate, crunchy cracker and crispy salt crystals. The combination of cocoa and sesame fragrance was divine. I found it a little odd at first, tasting the saltiness along side the light sweetness but the contrast was just right, not overwhelming but subtle and by the time I took the second bite, the contrast proved that my tasting palette was cleared and I could no longer feel the sweetness on my taste buds- the sort of effects cheap chocolate creates!

It's probably an acquired taste, just like using sesame oil in cooking. If you want to try some new and adventurous, I would highly recommend this!

1 comment:

Hunter said...

these were delicious!