Saturday 21 June 2008

The black box


I first had this box when I attended a conference in the States last year. It was hard work trying to keep the box cool in the July heat, but the effort was well paid off the moment I opened the box and saw how dark and shiny the truffles were. If you want to explore the dark chocolate world, this
tasting box from Godiva would be a fantabulous start!

With 27 truffles/minibars of chocolate, the box is very much like an orchestra. There is a range of tones in terms of cocoa content but above all, the combinations of flavours and certain percentages of cocoa were probably the key brownie point to distinguish this selection from others on the market.

The dark cappuccino truffle was a nice surprise, as most cappuccino truffles are readily available in white(!) or milk chocolate coating. The highlight of tasting this truffle was probably the pleasantly nice contrast between the dark, crispy chocolatey shell and the fresh, light centre. The truffle reminded me of two of my favourite things: dark-chocolate-coated coffee beans and cappuccino served with lots of chocolate topping!! I am not a big fan of having chocolate truffles with a mug of coffee, despite the fact that I settle for no less than 5 mugs of coffee a day, this truffle took my break away right after the first bite! I would highly recommend this truffle to coffee lovers!!

My next favourite was the raspberry caramel duet- a nice blend of a vibrant summer fruit, slighty sour but fresh with a touch of sweetness from the caramel centre. I am often fussy when it comes to caramel chocolate as although I have a sweet tooth, I do enjoy tasting good quality chocolate rather than cheap chocolate mixed with crystalised sugar. This truffle, however, impressed me with the sharp chocolate cup, which stayed on my taste buds for much longer than the caramel centre! Great combination, perfect for the summer!

No comments: